Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Narrative 4



It’s been years since I’ve talked to Jim, John, and Marcus. In high school we were inseparable, playing pranks, going out, throwing parties we were the crazy ones in school. Everyone was so jealous of our brotherhood bond. But it seemed to fall apart in college. We met new people, went to different schools, and got into serious relationships so none of us had time for our old friends. After two years of college we lost all touch without even realizing it.

Every ten years our high school had a reunion. I got a letter in the mail saying that it was time for another high school reunion. I wasn’t sure whether to go or not because I didn’t think any of my friends would anyways. Besides, I never went to any of the reunions before, they are waste of time. So I just placed the letter aside telling myself that I would figure it out later.

When the time came around my wife and I were supposed to go out for dinner. Instead she went shopping for my grandchild’s birthday. She called me and told me that she had to cancel out dinner reservations and that we would go out another night. I said okay and sat down on the couch and started looking through newspapers. I came across the obituary and was stunned by what I saw. It read; ‘John Smith Born: December 23, 1944 Died: January 8, 2002. He will be missed.’ With a picture of him above the article. I sat there stunned at what I saw I couldn’t believe I haven’t seen or talked to this man in over 40 years. How could I let something like that happen? Lose touch with one of my best friends I ever had. I wondered whether Marcus or Jim knew. I then wondered if they were still around. The other way I could find out was to go to the reunion.

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed the invitation to the reunion that was still sitting on the counter. I can’t believe Mary didn’t throw it away. My wife hated when things were in random places, she liked everything neat and organized.

I read the invitation the date said February 12, 2003. That was tonight I read the time it started at six. It was five thirty now. The place where the reunion was being held was only a thirty minute ride. I would get there on time or maybe even a little late. But as long as I get there I’ll be fine. I wrote a note for Mary telling her that I was going to the reunion and left the invitation there next to it so she knew everything. I never told her that I was thinking about going… I never actually thought I would.

After throwing on some decent clothes I hopped in the car and was on my way. When I got there it was easy to find a parking spot, this kind of scared me. What if none of my old friends went? I decided to go in and see if I saw anyone, if I didn’t I would just go home.

Talking to people there was like meeting someone for the first time. Nobody really knew who was who because it has been so long. Whenever someone walked up to me they would introduce themselves and I would introduce me. Some people I remembered and had long conversations with, others I had no idea who they were.

I didn’t think I was ever going to find Jim or Marcus. I walked over to the bar to get a drink. I saw these two men and a woman sitting there. They were laughing and they seemed to be having a great time. Once they realized me sitting there, one of them turned to me and said, “Hi I’m Jim” (putting out his hand to shake mine) “This is Lucy, my wife.” “And this is funny ol’ Marcus.” I couldn’t believe it, it was my old friends sitting right in front of me. As I was putting out my hand to shake his hand I said “Yeah I know you two, I’m George.” Instead of shaking my hand Jim and Marcus both jumped up and hugged me. Like the old days they started to mess with my hair, they knew I hated it, but this time I didn’t mind it.

We talked for a long time about our lives and what we’ve been up to lately. Jim seemed to have the most to say about his wife, his children, and his successful job. Marcus on the other hand did not have as much to talk about. He and his wife had got divorced recently and they never had kids. Then the subject came up about John. I asked them if they knew and they both nodded. They said that they had not talked to him either ever since high school. The night was over and my old friends and I had to once again depart like we did on the last day of high school. But this time was different we knew we would see each other again. We all regret losing touch with John, losing him showed us that you never know what you have and when it will be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment